Muhammad N. West

Topic: Physical Therapy

Essential Question: What is the best way for a physical therapist to help an athlete successfully return to basketball?

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Independent Study 1

1. Log:  Basically I volunteered at the Tae Kwon Do studio on Tuesdays and Thursday from 4 to 8 pm for the past 4 weeks.( Actually a little more than 30 hours) The exacts dates are 1/18, 1/21, 1/25, 1/27, 2/1, 2/3, 2/8, 2/10.
2. Evidence:

Me observing physical testing.

My Black Belt.

Literal:

(a) I, Muhammad, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.

(b) At the Tae Known Do studio I either was observing or helping out with the exercises. Some of the help that I did were holding kicking targets, assisting sit-ups, and moving around gear/mats.

Interpretive:
Although Tae Kwon Do isn't specifically my senior project topic, it did have some validity as my research source. First of all, I observed every class began with warm-ups. They would stretch out basically their entire bodies because it is martial arts and thus they will be moving around a lot. Teaching proper warming up is one of my answers to essential question as it will reduce risk of overall injury. There they targeted their torsos and legs because Tae Kwon Do involves a lot of leg movement. Also another answer to my essential question is learning proper techinque of the sport. In martial arts that is what you do most of the time. You come and pratice every body movement until it gets into muscle memory. Watching the instructors communicate and demonstrate these proper technique was in itself a learning experience for me.

Applied:
Now I've already explained how it is related to my essential question, but I need to be selective of what I learn from here. Not everything is interchangable and can be carried over to physical therapy and general sports. Like I won't bring over how to axe kick to my lesson because I can't really think of a sport that calls for that. However, what I will use is stuff about body conditioning and exercises. For example the proper way of doing squats is bending shoulder with apart down until your legs are bent perpendicularly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment