Muhammad N. West

Topic: Physical Therapy

Essential Question: What is the best way for a physical therapist to help an athlete successfully return to basketball?

Friday, April 29, 2011

Independent Study Component 2

Content:

1. Log
-For the first part of my Independent Component 2, I attended a first aid class on 2/26/2011. Then beginning from 12/5/2011, I played basketball on Riley's team, Bromo-sapiens for almost every sunday.
2.Posted Evidence (Example: For a college class, take a photo of your transcript and upload it).


I scanned that cards that certify that I am first aid trained.

The team jersey that I used.

Literal

(a) Statement saying: “I, Muhammad Noor, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”

(b)  The First Aid class was supposed one class that lasts for nine hours and a half, but the class actually went a little past ten hours so I will count it as ten. For the rest of hours I participated in the Pacrim Basketball League on Riley's Bromo-sapiens team. Each game was an hour but I practiced an hour before before each game. I played on ten of our games so that adds up to about 20 hours and 30 in total.

Interpretive
The First Aid Class is applicable to sports-related injuries and provide me with injury prevention skills. The class description included topics such as responses for breathing and cardiac emergencies, soft tissue and skeletal injuries. I changed the second part of my plan to complete this independent component. I couldn't manage to get into the sports injury screenings as I had wanted, but as it turns out I had already started on something that work as part of independent component. When I decided to specify my essential question to basketball, I realized I could use the time I spent on Riley's basketball team as hours towards my Independent component.

Applied
Well the Red Cross First aid class definitely provided necessary information to answer my eq. It taught foundational injury assistance and prevention, which is part of my third answer. I also got good ideas for activities for my presentation out of this, such as proper ankle wrapping. Also my experience in the basketball team gave me vital perspective of what kinds of strains and pains are common. For example Jeremiah sprained his ankle after a jump shot. Without seeing first hand the motions that caused the injuries, it would be difficult to prepare prevention strategies for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment